Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Blood continues flowing in Iraq, no "bounce" for Bully Boy

Good evening and let's get things kicked off with Democracy Now!


Report: Over 1300 Killed in Iraq Violence
The Washington Post is reporting over 1300 people have been killed in less than a week of violence in Iraq. The death toll is at least four times higher than previously reported, and one of the biggest outside of major US operations since the war began. Violence has increased across the country following Wednesday's bombing of a holy Shiite shrine in Samarra. Earlier today, separate attacks in Baghdad killed at least 36 people and injured dozens more. In the biggest attack, a suicide bomber blew himself up at a Baghdad gas station, killing over 20 people and injuring 50 others.

So yesterday the numbers were shocking. Today, even more so. There's a Patti Smith song called "Radio Baghdad" and Shawn picked it as one of the best of 2004 at The Common Ills (Cedric picked Eminem's "Mosh" and Marci picked Prince's "Cinnamon Girl" -- Ma had a pick in there too!). This is from "Radio Baghdad" and Patti sings it like a chant:

Oh Baghdad
Center of the world
City of ashes
With its great mosques
Erupting from the mouth of god
Rising from the ashes like
a speckled bird
Splayed against the mosaic sky
Oh, clouds around
We created the zero
But we mean nothing to you
You would believe
That we are just some mystical tale
We are just a swollen belly
That gave birth to Sinbad, Scheherazade
We gave birth
Oh, oh, to the zero
The perfect number
We invented the zero
And we mean nothing to you
Our children run through the streets
And you sent your flames
Your shooting stars
Shock and awe
Shock and awe
Like some, some
Imagined warrior production
Twenty-first century
No chivalry involved
No Bushido

"And we mean nothing to you." That pretty much sums up the attitude that Bully Boy's shown to the people of Iraq.


Bush Approval Rating on Iraq, Presidency At All-Time Low
In other news, a new CBS News poll has found the number of Americans who approve of President Bush’s overall job performance and his handling of the Iraq war has fallen to an all-time low. 34 percent of Americans give the President a favorable job approval rating, while even less -- 30 percent -- approve of the President’s handling of the Iraq war. Meanwhile, less than a third of Americans believe President Bush has adequately responded to the needs of victims of Hurricane Katrina.

What? You thought there was no good news today? Bully Boy's in the toilet. Like Ava and C.I. said in their review of "Close To Home" -- "Flush his latest 'creation' down, flush it down." Floating in the toilet, making a stink, flush the Bully Boy.

I don't know, I was thinking we had a shot at that today. I listened to the hearings on
Pacifica and was hopeful even though everyone was saying, "Mike, don't expect much" Sunday when we were doing "NSA Hearings This Tuesday." But I was pretty hopeful. Then we get the news, right at the start of the hearing that they're cutting it in half and I was thinking right then, "Oh man."

I don't know. Rebecca thinks Russ Feingold did a good job and I can go along with that. We were talking about that on the phone a little while ago. I don't know that I was hugely impressed with any other Senator. Patrick Leahy was strong at times but there was too much "joshing with Arlen" for me to take Leahy or the hearings too seriously. Tony thinks it was pretty strong. Maybe it was? Maybe I just expected too much?

C.I. takes on Orrin Hatch in "Democracy Now: John Pace, Dave Isay; NSA hearings -- Miss Priss Instant Cuckoo (O. Hatch!)" which is hilarious and perfectly gets at that annoying moment when Hatch was talking how tough it was for the executive branch to follow the basic law. I wish I could grab a moment and just like crystalize it. C.I. did but listening, I didn't even register that was a moment until I read about Miss Priss Instant Cuckoo. Read it. It's really funny and really true.

Be sure to check out Elaine's site for her thoughts at Like Maria Said Paz. And The Daily Jot is back up and running. Be sure to check out Wally's latest!


I'm down about today's hearing but otherwise pretty cool. My bro that just got married is back from his honeymoon and he and his wife are coming to a late dinner tonight. So I'm wrapping this up quick. That's probably why my oldest sister Kelly visited last night. :D Usually, she only drops by on the weekends. But one of our brothers is getting back from the honeymoon, better go drop by and say hi to Ma and Dad before the return! Don't want to be forgotten!

I teased her about that last night so I'm guessing it's okay to put it up here.