With the deadline for President Barack Obama’s promised initial withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan less than a month away, the top US military commander has revealed that no plan has been submitted for pulling out US forces.
When he announced his “surge” of 30,000 additional troops into Afghanistan in December 2009, Obama set July 2011 as the date that, supposedly having achieved US military objectives, the drawdown of troops would begin.
In the intervening year and a half, the administration and the Pentagon have done their utmost to diminish the significance of this promise, which was made in an attempt to placate the overwhelming hostility of the American people to a war that is nearing the end of its tenth year, making it the longest in US history.
The focus was shifted to 2014, which NATO designated as the year in which Afghan puppet security forces could be entrusted with the suppression of resistance nationwide. More candid statements from NATO allies and military commanders, however, intimated that the real expectation is for the war and occupation to continue for another decade or more.
Rebecca of Sex and Politics and Screeds and Attitude,
Betty of Thomas Friedman Is a Great Man,
C.I. of The Common Ills and The Third Estate Sunday Review,
Kat of Kat's Korner (of The Common Ills),
Cedric of Cedric's Big Mix,
Mike of Mikey Likes It!,
Elaine of Like Maria Said Paz),
Ruth of Ruth's Report,
Wally of The Daily Jot,
Trina of Trina's Kitchen,
Marcia of SICKOFITRDLZ,
Stan of Oh Boy It Never Ends,
Isaiah of The World Today Just Nuts,
and Ann of Ann's Mega Dub.
- Congress member Gary Ackerman.
- Congress member Gary Ackerman!!!
- Congress member Bob Filner.
- Jim breaks down the edition.
- The 100 Days ends tomorrow. And what happens then? Because nothing was accomplished in the 100 Days.
- The 'left' is (supposedly) in charge now. What changed? Not a damn thing. Ava and C.I. use Sleeper to explore that.
- Adam Kokesh's dance party was a hit.
- This is a kitschy (right word?) clay mation stop-motion film.
- Ava tells you Scott Brown's secret. This is a good read.
- Jim and C.I. wrote this about the 'helpers' who keep hurting Bradley's case.
- The Defense Dept doesn't realize who they serve: The American people.
- The monthly count.
- Great Britain's Socialist Worker repost.
- Workers World repost.
- Wally, Cedric, Marcia, Ruth, Ann, Betty, Rebecca, Kat, Stan, Isaiah, Elaine and I wrote this.