Okay, Wikileaks. Sunday they released more documents, these demonstrating how Afghanistan is a lost war and how the government knows it. How the government knows Pakistan intelligence has been helping the Taliban. More and more. Ben Smith (Politico) reports that Tubby Plus-size model Robert Gibbs is insisting it is not the Pentagon Papers. So Gibbs presents the Whore opinion. Let's move over to someone much more educated, Rep. Jim McGovern:
A little bit of sunshine has been brought to bear on this war, and it’s not pretty. It’s very disturbing. It paints a grim picture of what’s happening in Afghanistan. We need to rethink our strategy in Afghanistan and that includes establishing an exit strategy. We’ve been there for nearly 10 years and lost a huge amount in human life and treasure.
It makes me wary that we could get sucked into a war that really has no end. We can’t even define what victory means. That needs to change.
I’ve spent some time with our troops over there, and they’re doing and incredible job. But we don’t seem to have any real partners there. Our men and women are doing what they’re asked to do but the Karzai government and their security forces are not reliable.
I think [President Obama] is wrong in believing that the way out of Afghanistan will be to escalate our military imprint. I think the president should stick to what he’s said about withdrawing troops in July 2011. We should let the Karzai government know we’re not going to be there forever. I think we’ve gotten very little in return. It’s corrupt and incompetent and a disappointment on every level.
Let's move over to Third. Along with Dallas, the following worked on the edition this weekend:
The Third Estate Sunday Review's Jim, Dona, Ty, Jess, and Ava,
Rebecca of Sex and Politics and Screeds and Attitude,
Betty of Thomas Friedman Is a Great Man,
C.I. of The Common Ills and The Third Estate Sunday Review,
Kat of Kat's Korner (of The Common Ills),
Cedric of Cedric's Big Mix,
Mike of Mikey Likes It!,
Elaine of Like Maria Said Paz),
Ruth of Ruth's Report,
Wally of The Daily Jot,
Trina of Trina's Kitchen
Marcia of SICKOFITRDLZ,
Stan of Oh Boy It Never Ends,
Isaiah of The World Today Just Nuts,
and Ann of Ann's Mega Dub.
And what did we come up with:
- Truest statement of the week -- Journolist being called out
- Truest statement of the week II -- Journolist being called out
- A note to our readers -- Jim breaks down the edition.
- Editorial: Change you can masturbate to -- Elaine, Wally, Ava and C.I. were tired and they had no desire to sweeten it up. I love the editorial. We all worked on it. But the lines that shock you really came from the four of them. We would all burst into laughter at their contributions. And they made the editorial.
- TV: Everybody is a spy -- Ava and C.I. tackle the Journolist scandal and the TV show Covert Affairs.
- Serving under Richard Nixon, Chris Hayes (Ava and C.I.) -- A second feature by Ava and C.I. and here they are writing about The Nation, specifically Chris Hayes who, in fact, did cry "racist!" in order to score political points.
- Conason plays con man -- We all worked on this. I really can't get over Joe Conason's ridiculsou decision to destroy his good name by participating in Journolist.
- Andrew Sullivan misses his own scoop -- A group post. A short feature.
- The Whore List -- We were not aware there were other lists out there, sorry. We are now. Some include the same names, some do not.
- Ty's Corner -- Ty's piece. I felt he should have named the ass but I'm not as nice as Ty is.
- Lynne Stewart-- Lynne update. Remember that tomorrow on WBAI, 5:00 pm EST, Taking Aim devotes the hour to Lynne.
- Highlights -- Marcia, Ruth, Rebecca, Kat, Betty, Stan, Cedric, Wally, Ann, Elaine and I wrote this.
Here's C.I.'s "Iraq snapshot:"