Thursday, July 07, 2005

Expanding the JROTC, London, giving oral and Miller

Today we're going to start with CounterRecruiter's "Air Force Plans Large Expansion of JROTC Programs:"

The magazine PeaceWork is reporting that the Air Force plans to expand its high school Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC) program by 200 schools by 2007. There are currently 746 high school programs. The Air Force plans to add 46 schools this fall and 75 in both 2006 and 2007. PeaceWork has published a list of the 46 new schools. The magazine has also obtained a list of 207 schools on the Navy's target list for new JROTC programs.

That's a pretty important story. But it's not the only thing going on today. The G8 protests and pretty much everything else are being overshadowed by the bombing in London this morning.

From Democracy Now!

Series of Bomb Blasts Rip Through London in Rush Hour
A series of bomb blasts ripped through the London subway system during rush hour this morning. As many as 7 separate blasts have been reported. At least one double decker bus was also reportedly blown up, with witnesses describing it like a can of sardines being ripped open. Details remain very vague but officials are saying that many people have died and scores more have been injured. As people emerged from the underground, they described what had happened. Police officials say there was evidence of explosives in at least one of the six sites.

After that, the other big story is probably Judy Miller going to jail. C.I.'s got some strong stuff on that so check out NYT: "Reporter Jailed After Refusing to Name Source" (Adam Liptak) and
The Js: Jane (Mayer), Jude (Iddybud) and Judith (Miller) for more information and stuff.

Now we'll go the e-mails because I've got people mad. Some of you say I should have told Rochelle and Sid not to touch a hair on their body because they are beautiful just the way they are. Some of you say that I made a big deal talking about the irritation from the cut hairs rubbing against your skin. But Tiffany writes that it is a personal choice and it's like asking a stranger "Should I grow a mustache?" It all comes down to what you want and what you're willing to do. I'll stand by the answer that Rochelle and Sid each need to make up their own minds.

So here's the e-mail question today, John writes in wanting to know about what I'll call "it's dark in there." John's interested in sharing with his girlfriend but he's always been on the receiving end of oral. He'd like to pleasure her in that way by sampling down south but it's the dark south to John who's afraid of what he can't see. He wonders what it's like in there and thinks he'll freak out if he attempts to explore.

Now would Captain Kirk have ever piloted the Enterprise with that attitude? No. John, blind people deal with things that they can't see all the time. And you don't need a flash light, trust me. It's not total eclipse time down there. You say you're interested and you say you're scared. So I guess you need to figure which one will win out: interest or fear.

But the way you're bragging on your girlfriend John, it sounds to me like she's put in a full eight hours and it's time for the guy working the second shift (that would be you, John) to punch the clock and get to work.

Back to the news. Here's my editorial. I was asked whether I agree with C.I.'s position on Judith Miller or not? I could give a silly answer and make us all laugh but I'll go straight to reality, there's not a person in my home that doesn't agree with C.I.

This is not "Miller is a great reporter, this is about the rights of the press." That's what my dad said. My mother said she wouldn't stop on a rainy night to give Miller a lift if her car was stranded but the issue isn't Miller, it's whether or not a government can force a reporter to rat out a source. My sister said you don't drop your principles just because the person isn't someone you like.

That sums up where I stand. Miller's a bad reporter? Well if that's crime half the press should be in jail. I don't like Miller. I do like that the she stood up to a prosecutor. I wonder about the people drawing lines and saying "she led us into war." General Judy isn't the issue, a free press is. She isn't a reporter I'd read or trust. But what she did was the right thing.