Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Sick from a flu shot

Good evening and let's kick things off with Democracy Now!

Justice Department to Investigation Ojeda Rios Killing
The Justice Department confirmed on Monday that it will investigate the FBI killing of Puerto Rican independence leader Filiberto Ojeda Rios. The killing has sparked widespread outrage in Puerto Rico. On Sept. 23, over 100 FBI agents surrounded the house of the 72-year-old Ojeda Rios. After he was shot, the FBI let him lie wounded in his house for nearly a day during which time he bled to death. The FBI claimed Ojeda Rios fired first, but his wife said this is not true. Ojeda Rios had been on the FBI's most wanted list for his role in a $7 million bank heist but he was a legendary figure in Puerto Rico for his lifelong resistance to U.S. colonialism. Tens of thousands of Puerto Ricans attended his funeral services last week.

You think it will be a whitewash? Or maybe a "few bad apples"? I don't have much faith in the ability of the FBI to investigate itself. 72 years old. If they wanted him, why didn't they arrest him? Isn't that what the FBI is supposed to do? Arrest and let the Justice Department charge?
Why didn't they feel the need to do that here? They let Ojeda Rios bleed to death over nearly 24 hours.

Senate Panel Oks Allowing Pentagon Spies to Operate in U.S.
The Senate Intelligence Committee has approved new legislation that would allow Pentagon intelligence operatives to collect information from U.S. citizens without revealing their status as government spies. According to the Los Angeles Times, the bill would end a long-standing requirement that military intelligence officers disclose their government ties when approaching any U.S. citizen in the United States.

This is not good. This is like in the movie Coming Home when Jane Fonda and Jon Voight are being spied on and when Bruce Dern gets back from

Be sure to check Like Maria Said Paz for Elaine's take on the two stories above.

I got a flu shot today. I always forget how sick that makes me until after I get it. I'm always thinking, "Flu shot! Better get it!" Then I get it and right after the band aid goes on, I always remember, "Hey, this usually makes me sick."

So I'm not feeling good tonight. My stomach's churning around. My forehead's sweating and I have that weird taste in my throat you get before you puke.

I'll do e-mails tomorrow but on the day I get a flu shot the best thing is just to crawl into bed early. So that's what I'm going to do.