Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Memorial Day

It's technically Tuesday but I have been to sleep yet so let's still consider it Memorial Day! :D

Sorry. I had a great weekend. Friday, Elaine, Cedric, Ann, Stan, Marcia and I went to C.I.'s place on Martha's Vineyard and stayed through Monday.

And I'm lazy so let me copy and paste from Third for who I'm talking about:


Cedric of Cedric's Big Mix,
Elaine of Like Maria Said Paz),
Wally of The Daily Jot,
Marcia of SICKOFITRDLZ,
Stan of Oh Boy It Never Ends,
and Ann of Ann's Mega Dub.


I get back and damn that Wally! :D His grandfather and my grandfather have become phone and e-mail buddies. Wally spent the holiday with his mom and his grandfather at home (Florida) and one of the things Wally did was get his grandfather a DVD set of old movies. Not like the Marx Brothers (which he already had) but this combination of forgotten movies. And my grandfather couldn't stop talking about it and how they'd watched it together (Wally and his grandfather). Yep, I can take a hint. So I drove all over Boston looking for something called Comedy Kings: 50 Movie Pack. Ay-yi-yi. I found it at a bookstore finally. ($15.99 and worth it if you come across it.)

Elaine and I then went to my grandfather's and watched a good portion of them -- not all 50! -- with him. I fell asleep during The Animal Kingdom so don't ask me about that. The Inspector General (with Danny Kaye) was very funny and I think I remembered seeing it on TV when I was little. Never Wave At A WAC with Rosalind Russell was laugh out loud funny. When The Girls Take Over -- made in 1962 so it may be the newest in the bunch, most were 30s and 40s films -- was funny not because of what was onscreen but because of the Castro fear that so took over the film makers. You have to watch this one to laugh out loud. I liked Niagra Falls. It wasn't a movie proper in that it needed a few more scenes (the movie was on the collection as it was shown at the movies -- but it's about an hour) and you really want to see the young couple after they're thrown out of the hotel but it was a funny one. And there was one with Buster Keaton called The Villain Still Pursued Her which was funny too.

So that was my Memorial Day weekend, hope you had a good one. No surprise, Barry O didn't have a good one.

Biden honors war dead; rain forces Obama to cancel Ill. speech

Boston Globe - Darlene Superville - ‎1 hour ago‎
Vice President Joe Biden attended Memorial Day ceremonies at Arlington National Cemetery yesterday. (Jewel Samad/ AFP/ Getty Images) By Darlene Superville Associated Press / June 1, 2010 ARLINGTON, Va.


:D

That's what he gets for skipping out on Arlington because he's worried about being booed. As usual, C.I. posted entries today:


Again, sorry for posting so late. Time with my grandfather had not been factored in but it was a great time. Although I will have to speak to Mr. Wallace about heads up when one of us purchases a gift for our grandfathers in the future now that we know they will be comparing notes. :D I'll talk about Third tomorrow.